Sunday, October 20, 2019

Pecan bars

Below is the recipe for the best pecan bars ever. I'm putting it here in case my paper copy spontaneously combusts, or I need to make pecan bars on a road trip, or something. It's from the March 1999 issue of Gourmet Magazine, but to make it my own, and because I prefer a higher pecan to goo ratio, I increased the amount of pecans. And because I only make this recipe for crowds, I doubled the recipe.

1. Shortbread base

1.5 c. (3 sticks) cold butter 
4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. packed light brown sugar
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350oF. Cube butter. Whap everything together in food processor until it begins to form small lumps. Dump on big parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and compress evenly onto bottom. Bake 20 minutes, while you prepare...

2. Pecan topping

6-8 c. pecans
1 c. (2 sticks) butter
2 c. packed light brown sugar
2/3 c. honey
4 T. heavy cream (or whole milk; water would probably be fine too)

Coarsely whap pecans in food processor.

Heat butter, sugar, honey, and cream in large heavy-bottomed pot. Let simmer ~5 minutes, stirring occasionally. A minute before shortbread is done, mix in pecans (rewarm briefly if caramel has stiffened). Pour over hot shortbread and spread evenly. Bake another ~20 minutes until bubbly.

Let cool completely, then lift entire sheet of pecan bars out of pan using the edges of the parchment paper. Cut into small bars (a little goes a long way). Makes enough to sustain 10-20 people over a long Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments: