Sunday, October 8, 2023

National Week With[out] Driving, the end

On Saturday, I walked from my hotel to my workshop on campus. We wrapped up early enough that I could dash over to the Everson Museum of Art for a quick look at their current ceramics exhibits.


Self Sufficient, by Lois Hennessey, 2002

Clockwise from bottom: Peter Voulkos, Voulkos, Antonio Prieto, Harrison McIntosh

Jug, Peter Voulkos, 1950

Fish Monster, Sascha Brastoff, ca. 1948

Sex Monster, Sascha Brastoff, ca. 1948

Assorted pots from the Rosenfeld Collection

I left earlier than I would have liked, due to intense set-up activity for a wedding...  

Afterward, I walked over to my favorite vegan restaurant anywhere, Strong Hearts, for a quick dinner, then filled another 45 minutes with more walking, until I had to catch an Uber to the airport.

Public art en route

Strong Hearts--so tasty!

S lived on this street for one semester, before we both got jobs at Nearly Ivy U 

It was a drizzly weekend, but I enjoyed being immersed in autumn

Can you see the three deer? There's a tail pointing out toward the end of the sidewalk... 

Brilliant autumn. Love it!

I arrived at the airport a little after 6pm. The clouds and setting sun were putting on quite a show. 



I changed planes at IAD. I wanted to walk from incoming concourse A to outgoing concourse D, but the only way to get between them is by shuttle. Oh well. 

Upon landing at RDU at 11:30pm, I walked to the parking deck, got into my car, and drove home.

Total cost for two days of airport parking: $40. Had I traveled to/from RDU via Uber, the cost would have been ~$90 including tips.

Total cost of Ubers from/to the airport in Syracuse: $60 including tips. Syracusans who park at their airport for two days would pay $26-$36.

--------

This morning, Sunday, I passed on an invitation to go hiking at Hanging Rock State Park. I've spent more time in cars during this national Week Without Driving than I do most weeks of the year.

As I wrap up this post, an email has just landed in my inbox from Consumer Reports with the subject header "Your next car is waiting." Oh dear, I don't think so. 

I'm heading out the door now for a long walk.

No comments: