Monday, October 23, 2023

Local Legend update

10/29/2023 CORRECTION: Silly me, the post below isn't about "Glendale uphill - dead end to Clark," it's about "Glendale dead-end uphill." So many Local Legend laurels to be claimed, all in basically the same place! This either means there's a lot of glory to go around (hooray everyone!), or glory is diluted. But I guess it also means I'm free to pummel the "Glendale dead-end uphill" record into the ground, starting today... 

---------

Well that was short-lived. I'm back to Othered status, i.e. being the female Local Legend on Strava, but not the actual definition-of-local-legend Local Legend. That Non-Othered-Human-a.k.a.-Male status has been taken over with a vengeance by Matt B, who has recorded a whopping 35 efforts in the past 90 days, compared to my now-16.


Since Matt B wasn't the person from whom I stole Non-Othered-Human-a.k.a.-Male Local Legend status last week, he must have done something similar to what I did--i.e., either walking/running back and forth or in repetitive circles. He's added 22 "attempts" since last week, for an average of almost 3 attempts per day.

I like to imagine that Matt B is knows John S. I don't wish ill on either of them, but maybe John S has the flu or something, and Matt said, "hey buddy, I know you can't win this back right now--curses, flu!--and I know how much being the Local Legend on 'Glendale uphill - dead end to Clark' meant to you, so let me run it for you. I'll run it and run it, again and again, so that Liz P can't take it back." And John S gave his blessing to the plan, and Matt B donned his sneakers for his friend, and went out into the sunshine or the pouring rain, and made sure to go north-to-south repeatedly on that segment, because Strava doesn't count south-to-north, until he passed by then-12 efforts, and he kept going, each day, for a whole week, until he had 35 efforts and figured the record was safe for a while, because that's what friends do for friends.

I admire that devotion. Consequently, I will abstain from walking back-and-forth 23 times to re-take the digital golden laurel crown, because that's the kind of generous person I am.

No comments: