Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Disillusioned avocados

I was scrolling through Instagram this afternoon, and this photo made me laugh out loud. Apparently I'm not the only woman who occasionally feels like a dried out oxidizing avocado with a big round pit for a belly. Age and childbirth will do that to you. When I think more about this, though, I realize I'm one tenacious avocado.


After I stopped laughing, I strived for empathy. These poor betrayed millennials. Clearly they haven't read the NYTimes article on aging exuberantly. Those of us in the know understand that by upping our exuberance quotients, our lives can continue to be worth living. Toss in a little lemon juice and refrigeration, or a willingness to embrace eating a whole avocado in one sitting: such wisdom comes with age.

It's worth mentioning that the NYTimes article on disillusioned millennials hitting middle age does not mention exuberance even once. That's the real betrayal here.

By the way, I think aging is pretty great. It beats the alternative, of course; and honestly, life mostly just gets better and better.

No comments: