Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bifocals

Today I went to see Dr. M., the swell optometrist next to Costco, for as I've always liked to say (at least, since 3 p.m. this afternoon), there's no better way to kick off a new year than ordering your very first pair of bifocals.

In addition to paving the way for clearer vision, a prescription for bifocals gives you an instant bond with the friendly eye-glasses salesperson at Costco. "Oooh, nice frames, Ms. Paley," she said approvingly; "and let me tell you, bifocals are the best. You're really gonna like these."

So now, catapulting to the top of my list of Things You Can Do in the U.S. That You Can't Do in Germany, is Seeing an optometrist for a routine appointment on a Sunday. The Costco experience deserves a nod, of course, so I'll add Shopping in abundance at warehouse stores, Paying with credit cards, and Parking in a surface lot with more square footage than a dozen overcrowded elementary schools.

No comments: